Thursday, February 17, 2011

Toy

For this assignment our mission was to create a couple of toys that could be used within our story. Toys are objects that can be used many times, having great replay value.

For my story (a post apocalyptic situation to teach communication) I created a barrel and a pallet.

Here we can see a bunch of pallets and barrels littering a stream. Imagine our students coming across this scene. What might they do with this?

















Well, here's one possibility.






















I attempted to use them to build a bridge across the water but quickly discovered several problems. The water needs to be shallow (or you wind up needing so many barrels and pallets you run out of free prims) and the bottom needs to be relatively flat. I found the perfect spot to do so in Cove, but then my barrels and pallets kept being returned to me within two minutes. Ah, well.

Other things I did while playing was bowling (they're physical objects, and when they strike one another they can go flying!) No photos of that though.

There are two problems I've discovered with this though. The first is that these objects are really, REALLY heavy on the prim count. I may want to cut back. The second is that, while you can drag or roll them around easily without editing, you can't lift or control rotation without actually going into edit mode, and that can mess with the "physical" setting strangely on occasion.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of objects near a spot where there is a possible application that helps develop the story line. For example, do we need a walkway in order to get a cart of valuables across the water...or to allow people who can't swim access to an area etc. I also like the fact that the objects are suggestive. Barrels might float, pallets stack to become fencing or a landing or a floating bridge or raft, etc.

    ReplyDelete