Thursday, February 10, 2011

Explore: CAVE Island

After class (and after time exploring freebee islands with Alexsis, Kimmie, and Douglas) I decided to take on the exploration of COVE mission. Let me start with by saying what an absolutely beautiful place this is. I'll admit I've been to lovelier sims in my two years, but not many. This one really had some amazing spots.

My first impression was not so glowing. I started my tour with the two buildings adjacent to the small sandbox area where we trained on building. These two buildings proved to be extremely simplistic builds with nothing inside (save for a table and some chairs upstairs in one). My thoughts upon seeing that were that this was going to be a quick mission.

After that, however, I began running into sight after sight that took my breath away:





Inside one of the cave networks. This is a gorgeous grotto. Having a class in here might be dangerous because it's so peaceful one's thoughts might drift away.




Outside of one of the caves. Again, this is such a peaceful spot...











This was a library and computer lab setup. All the amenities! Though it felt a bit meta to be staring at computer screens on my computer screen.









The first floor of the conference center. I have attended conferences at far less likable locations. (I was amused to discover I could identify all three royals. Victoria, Edward, and George V.) The accommodations upstairs were quite comfy.







There were a number of other locations throughout. While a few were a tad odd (such as the rocket ship next to the tropical beach hut) generally this place was very lovely to stroll about.

More important than the view, though, was the educational nature.

A number of locations were set up such that they could be used as class areas. (This is not surprising, it's an educational sim, after all.) While they certainly weren't the traditional classroom in their look, they seemed quite well suited to the task. The settings were well thought out, managing to simultaneously provide comfy seating and an inviting atmosphere while at the same time blocking long distance views that might prove disruptive if someone nearby is being a bit whacky.

Additionally, almost anywhere you looked you could find slide shows of previous lessons, presumably created by previous students. (You can see examples in the grotto and library pictures.) These weren't simply scattered about, but in fact carefully placed throughout the sim deliberately. These proved to be quite informative, and while wandering it was quite natural to click through them when they caught the eye. While one might expect them to be intrusive and jarring given the pleasantness of the "natural" surroundings, in fact they weren't at all, and in fact lent interest to the place. Honestly? It was like a very, VERY well thought out museum that used nature instead of sterile concrete and wallpaper.

Very pleasant sim!

No comments:

Post a Comment